donderdag 10 februari 2011

House control project started

Some time ago I've written a small proof of concept for controlling my lights at home using my iPhone, the idea was born, as are most projects, out of lazyness. The problem at the time was that my bed was up high to save some room for the rest of my furniture, but of course once in bed I remembered that I had forgotten to switch of the light and as a result had to leave my nice and warm bed.

So beeing an engineer the right thing to do in such a situation is think of a technical solution to fix the problem. In this case it turned out there is a solution namely buying a cheap remote control light switch unit http://www.onderdelen-online.nl/product_info.php?products_id=2974 and this was a acceptable solution.... except for the fact that I now forgot to bring the remote to bed which brought me back to my original problem.

So what is the one thing I always carry with me? My phone! Since it's a "smart" phone it requires a fresh charge every night and it serves as my alarm (except the 3rd of january) using IT to control my lights seemed the best fitting option.
And so I finally found some spare time to share my house control project with the world. Because why stop at controlling the lights?

But more on how it all works in the next post..with pictures and stuff

Ooh I almost forgot the repo is at: https://github.com/erikkallen/House-control

Location:De Roterij,Bedum,Nederland

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten